Monday, October 11, 2010

Are you kidding me?

This has been one hell of a weekend!! The beginning...

Friday morning I got a call at work to come pick up Wes. He had a fever again. It seems that he's been battling this fever for months now. I can't help but feel immense guilt every time I have to leave work. As I drove to get him I marveled at the day! First, I was driving away from a job that I love and was seriously enjoying that day. With the windows rolled down I began to feel the sunshine all around me and a bit better.
There was no traffic so I made the trip pretty quickly. I snagged Wes and we headed home. I sat at yet another intersection and heard seagulls and motorcycles roll by. Now, seagulls have always reminded me of my childhood on Mackinack Island and this day I found comfort and joy in their "noise". As for the bikes, they reminded me of my dad who is always a comfort to me.
Well, we got home and had a "normal" day for this mama of three. Late that night/early Saturday morning Wes's fever reached 104.1. To say I was beside myself would be putting it mildly. I gave him Motrin and a cool bath and waited. He nursed and slept while I waited with bated breath for his fever to come down. It finally did. We slept until 5am when Wes woke me with uncontrollable shivering. We bundled up and snuggled close to Troy (a man with a thermostat that is always set at 90 degrees). Anyway, we ended up in the doctor's office for blood tests and urine analysis. To find nothing causing his fever. Again, sent home to wait it out.
This is where I thought life would calm down and I could go home and rest, but alas the phone rang and I learned that my dad was in a motorcycle accident. He's fine, thank God! He was cut off going through an intersection and had to lay his bike down. He walked away with minor road-rash, a sprained ankle and a sprained shoulder.

Do you think there's ever a moment when you've been given too much to handle? There are several sayings that come to mind..."God doesn't give you what you can't handle" "that which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" are just 2. But really, when is enough really enough? I really want to know the plan. I'd like to be let in on the life lessons. I want to find out what I'm supposed to be learning from this. My heart is walking around on the 3 little people that I call my children and I can't keep them safe enough. I am a child to only one parent. I am a partner to a man who feels the stresses of it all. I am a sister to a woman who is trying so very hard to keep it all together. Can I just have a break? Is there ever an easy way out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lake of the Ozarks Camping

 This past weekend we went camping at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri with Tony and Shannon. We had a blast! The adventure started with a c...