Sunday, October 3, 2010

success

I learned pretty early on that Brenden does not "do" things until he can do it 100% by himself. He did it with walking and with riding his bike. I'm not sure why I thought reading would be any different. This teacher/mama has been struggling with getting her eldest excited to read. I know he's seven now and should be a reading pro, but alas he's not. We have fought for 2 years to get him excited and reading! When it comes to the English language, Brenden could care less. Give him science or math and he's engaged for hours! I finally gave up....a pretty terrifying moment for this teacher. I continued to try but forgot the lessons at the table and continued hoping that one day soon he'd begin reading. Fast forward to this year. I prayed that he'd be given a teacher that would motivate him into reading. He entered first grade only knowing about a dozen words. Enter Ms. Reagan. I have to admit I was terrified to know that this is her first year teaching first grade and only her second year total! She has been proving herself worthy (really who am I to judge?) She started off with a bang and an envelope of flash cards for Bren to learn. This week, he and I were practicing his sight words and I realized that he knew many words and was using some basic phonics to figure out more. SO, I ran to the book shelf and grabbed our Dick and Jane anthology given to Bren by my dad. Sure enough, Brenden read the book cover to cover!! He got up from the table and ran to Troy and said, "I can read!" Of course this mama was terribly proud and amazed at my son!!! Now I know it's just Dick and Jane, but this is just the beginning! The very next day he came home excited to tell me all about reading an entire Curious George book to his reading buddy. He's thrilled with himself and ready to read it all. Thank heavens for little miracles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lake of the Ozarks Camping

 This past weekend we went camping at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri with Tony and Shannon. We had a blast! The adventure started with a c...