Thursday, July 8, 2010

My part

Yesterday morning the kids and I ate Dunkin Donouts after a doctors appointment for Wes. We sat in the window eating our goodies while we watched the local garbage trucks drop off their loads. Our lovely dunkins is located right across the street from our town's dump/landfill. Brenden was telling Annie the entire process. She and I were listening as he finished with, "then the trucks dump the garbage." Hmm. Perfect timing! So, I asked Brenden what happens to the garbage after the truck dumps it off. He pondered and replied that they put it into the landfill and cover it up. Yep, they do! This got me going on a lovely tirade about what we're doing to our environment. Brenden is trying to come up with a better plan for where the garbage goes...good luck Bren.
In the mean time, I've been trying to do my part for the environment. We've been buying organic as often as possible and recycling in our home. One amazing program our city runs is giving 2 maple trees to each household to plant! Wow! I called as soon as I got the flyer and ta-da we have 2 new trees planted in our yard. We then added a third, cause guys we have 3 kids now...
Wes and his little tree in our front yard.


Annie and her little tree in the side yard.


Brenden with his little tree in the back yard.


I've also been trying the old fashioned clothes line! Note to self, towels come out really scratchy and tough and sheets smell yummy! It's not a bad deal. I ran 3 loads yesterday and only 1 actually made it into the dryer - Wes can't have scratchy clothes on his scrumptious skin!

I'm also proud to announce that it's been more than 2 months since I've used a plastic bag!!! I found these washable bags and I bought 2 and decided they were lovely but too expensive. So, I copied them and made a bunch of my own! They are cotton bags with a nylon lining plus a Velcro closure. The kids love them and they are easy to make! So far they have carried fruit, veggies and dried goods.



my snack bags!
I'm on the hunt for a compost bin from the city (for free) to reduce our garbage and the plan is to use that on our garden next year. I know we're starting small, but it does make me feel better knowing that we're trying. What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lake of the Ozarks Camping

 This past weekend we went camping at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri with Tony and Shannon. We had a blast! The adventure started with a c...